The Dynamic Dunescapes Citizen Science App helps to make monitoring our sand dune habitats easier
Environmental monitoring is an essential part of any conservation project. We want to know the health and distribution of the species that we're trying to support, and we need to know whether our actions are helping. So, we've created a free smartphone app to help us and our volunteers gather reliable, long-term data at our project sites.
The app is dynamic and easy to use, and has been designed for school groups and local residents to use in supervised group activities run by site managers, and also for our teams of experienced citizen scientists and volunteers to use when working on our sites.
We need you! Help us grow our sand dune monitoring at your local site
We have a lot of sand dune sites to cover, and we need your help! If you're a local resident or you're keen to help us make the biggest impact to protect our sand dunes that we possibly can, then you can get involved.
We need volunteers who have the time to work with our site managers and conservationists, to help with tasks such as getting new transects set up across our dunes.
If you think you'd like to help us out, please fill in the volunteer details form on our Volunteers page, stating that you'd like to assist with the app, and we'll put you in touch with your local team.
How does it work?
- Download the app on your smartphone using one of the links below.
- Set up your profile and log in to the app.
- Choose your survey site.
- Click the 'Species' or 'Habitats' icons at the bottom of the screen to find out how to ID plant species on the dunes, or learn more about the habitat types in a sand dune system.
- Click on the blue 'Activities you can do' bar on the home screen to learn how to complete different types of citizen science survey.
- Click the blue '+' button to begin your survey. Choose the survey type and add your data as instructed,
- Click 'Finish' to submit your data.
Thank you! Your data will be added to our growing data sets, and help us get a clearer picture of wildlife biodiversity, habitat health and conservation impacts on our sand dunes.
Ready to go? Download the app!
The Dynamic Dunescapes app was developed by UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology. It provides six activities for volunteers to monitor changes in dune systems - including their shape and size, vegetation and water table - over months and years.