The Dynamic Dunescapes Citizen Science App helps make monitoring sand dune habitats easier
Environmental monitoring is an essential part of any conservation project. We want to know the health and distribution of the species that we're trying to support, and we need to know whether our actions are helping. So, we've created a free, easy-to-use smartphone app to help us gather reliable, long-term data at our project sites.
The app is for Dynamic Dunescapes site managers, reserve staff, and trained volunteers to conduct monitoring activities and record data whilst out on Dynamic Dunescapes sites. If you are a volunteer or citizen scientist with Dynamic Dunescapes, speak to your site manager about getting involved and using the app. If you're not yet a volunteer, but would like to help us manage our sand dunes, you can register your interest by filling out a short form on our volunteering page, and a member of your local team will get back to you.
How does it work?
- Register as a volunteer with Dynamic Dunescapes
- Speak to your local site manager about using the app, and to find out which citizen science activities are a priority at your local dune site.
- Take a look at the Citizen Science training resources we have provided to familiarise yourself with the purpose and format of the different monitoring activities available.
- Download the app on your smartphone using one of the links below.
- Set up your profile and log in to the app.
- Choose your survey site.
- Click the 'Species' or 'Habitats' icons at the bottom of the screen to find out how to ID plant species on the dunes, or learn more about the habitat types in a sand dune system.
- Click on the blue 'Activities you can do' bar on the home screen to learn how to complete different types of citizen science survey.
- Click the blue '+' button to begin your survey. Choose the survey type and add your data as instructed,
- Click 'Finish' to submit your data.
Thank you! Your data will be added to our growing data sets, and help us get a clearer picture of wildlife biodiversity, habitat health and conservation impacts on our sand dunes.
Ready to go? Download the app!
The Dynamic Dunescapes app was developed by UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology. It provides six activities for volunteers to monitor changes in dune systems - including their shape and size, vegetation and water table - over months and years.